Monday, December 1, 2014

Why is Math Different Now?

4 Comments


Confused by the way your child's math lessons are explained? Is it different from the way you learned math as a child?  I bet you use more efficient algorithms to solve problems.  Trust me, I'm right there with you. As a teacher, I've had to learn to look at math in a different way. Many times I find myself saying "Aha!" And this is after 18 years of teaching! What was once abstract, now has new meaning. These days, students are learning to visualize and explain these concepts by drawing pictures, breaking numbers down and writing about their findings. 

Here is a wonderful video explaining why students are learning math in a different way now.



Work together to understand this new way of thinking about math. I bet you will have Aha! moments right along with your child.



4 comments:

Anonymous December 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM

you are right- that tune is catchy- literally- it is stuck in my head!
Bethany

Mrs. Sol December 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Ha! I warned you, Bethany! I will try to figure out a way to put it on the blog this week. :)

Anonymous December 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM

oh no! then I will have to watch it again! ;) (it wouldn't be that awful!)
Beth

Anonymous December 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM

now I have something to sing when I am doing chores!
Beth

Post a Comment